service today star rating
Rated 4.8 Stars - 5600+ Reviews
radio jingle icon

Dangers of Old Electrical Wiring

We all rely on our electrical wiring to supply us with all of the great modern luxuries in our homes. Old wiring may not be inherently dangerous, but there are issues with having an old wiring system in your home to be aware of. For one, you cannot be sure if the electrical system is still up to Australian standards. The materials used such as the wire insulation can deteriorate over time.

Unfortunately, if your home is older than 30 years of age, it is likely that you have outdated wiring. And may be putting your home and family at significant risk. Too often this problem goes without correction until it is too late. This is generally due to wiring being out of sight and not being aware. Homes built more than thirty to forty years ago are more than likely to have issues with the wiring system. 

The older the home, the higher chance of the wiring system being unsafe. Here are some of the dangers of old electrical wiring we would like for you to become aware of:

1. Outlet Shortage

Old electrical wiring for homes was designed based on a far smaller need for electricity. Often meaning that older homes can prove a bit of a challenge when it comes to getting all of your power needs met, frequently requiring the extensive use of power boards. Power boards should only ever be used for short-term situations. As they pose a significant safety risk. We recommend its best to bite the bullet and get your home rewired, as it will be the safest thing for everyone who lives within the home..

2. High Electricity Consumption

A damaged wiring system such as a frail electrical circuit could cause the temperature of the power line to rise up. If this is the case, then supply on the particular circuit may not reach the intended destination. Most of the charges either circulate or lay stagnant on the circuit before ultimately discharging on the ground. High electricity consumption correlates to higher electrical bills and we don’t want that.

3.  Aging Protection

Dangers of Old Electrical Wiring

Up until about ten years ago, most home’s electrical wiring systems used a rubber protective coating for the wires. Unfortunately, this rubber protective coating is not strong and over time will deteriorate to the point that it crumbles away. Without this protective coating your wire will become exposed. Hence, increasing the chance of fire in your home. The modern  wires we use today are coated in PVC. PVC poses a much smaller risk of deteriorating. If your home was built anytime over ten years ago,  you may want to get a licensed professional to check the protective coating of your internal wiring.

4. May Not Pass Inspection

Dangers of Old Electrical Wiring

If you are not experiencing any noticeable issues with your wiring, if your wiring is old and you are planning on selling your home one day, it won’t pass inspection until you have the wiring redone. Today’s safety standards are far higher than those of the ‘50s or even the ‘80s, so if you are thinking of selling, talk to your electricians about what would be involved in having the rewiring done.

If unsafe cabling is found in your home, it’s a matter of ‘when’ not ‘if’. Fires caused by deteriorated electrical wiring don’t give warning signs, so having your home rewired with modern cabling is the best course of action. When the rewiring is being done, a reliable electrician will also make sure that all your circuits are protected by safety switches. 

To guarantee the electrical safety in your home, always have an electrical professional inspect your wiring at least once every ten years.

Things to watch out for:

  • Damaged, cracked or missing wire insulation which tends to expose the metal part of the wire.
  • Wiring surrounded by any type of building insulation.
  • Exposed splices wrapped with modern electrical tape.
  • Discoloured switch plates and outlets that are warm to touch.
  • Flickering and dimming lights.
  • Fuses blow or circuit breakers trip more frequently.
  • A burning smell from an electrical device.

Service Today is here to help. If you suspect that you might have an old cabling in your home, give us a call to arrange an inspection and our expert electricians will advise you about whether full or partial rewiring is the best option for your home. Our trusted electricians can also do a home electrical safety inspection to uncover any other dangers of old electrical wiring in your home.